Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Mixed Media Father's Day canvas


 
 
 


Hi and welcome to my blog. My favorite aspect of mixed media is that you can take so many types of art forms and mix them together.. stamping , stencilling ... it all works beautifully together to create one of a kind works of art!! Anything But Cute Challenge blog  encourages us to have fun with this style with great monthly challenges. This month 's challenge is Make it Masculine and the DT has great projects to share and inspire so go check them out!!



 Today I wanted to share with you a mini canvas I made for my hubby for Father's day. My husband works out of country so I wanted to make something portable but at the same time durable. I found some thin 7X7 canvas at a local boxstore which are perfect for this type of craft. I started off by using a brick stencil and Prima Art Basics Modeling paste. I love the chunky texture and it's a perfect medium for adding lots of layers of colour!


 
I love how this canvas looks already and I haven't added anything yet!!
 
I then added layers of color with Lindy's Stamp Gang and Tim Holtz Distress ink sprays. I usually end up going for more brown tones in my masculine mixed media projects but this time I wanted a different look so I used more gray and yellow tones with splashes of black and white.

 
 
Next, I pulled out some background stamps. They are great way to add layers without bulk.
 
Now onto the next steps.......
 
 
I heat embossed some chunky argyle pieces that I custom made with my Cricut Explore with a Ranger puffy black embossing powder and for a bit of shine, I then spritzed the pieces with Prima Bloom spray in Precious Stone. I adhered a few strips of washi tape to the two corners. Then I added some Prima embellishments, buttons, ribbon, and a stamped sentiment from CTMH set Family Love , some AC enamel dots, and here is the finished project......
 
 
I love how this turned out and I can't wait to give it to my hubby!!
 
Thanks for stopping by my blog.... have a great creative day!!
 
 
 
 
 
 

7 comments:

  1. Very Cool!! Looks awesome and perfect for any male!!!! Have a great day!

    Theresa
    Scrappers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. GORGEOUS!!! This is just fantastic Candy!! Love that splash of yellow in the background, it just makes everything else jump right off the page!! The subtle brickwork adds a great layer of texture and the black harlequin almost creates a frame around your picture, drawing the eye right to your focal image!! This is just such a great masculine piece!!

    Thank you so much for joining us again this month at Anything But Cute for our 'Make It Masculine' challenge, your rocked our theme! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome masculine piece, Candy! Love your beautiful textures and that fabulous idea to use those chunky argyle pieces with puffy black EP! What an amazing way to display your family photo!
    Thank you so much for joining in our 'Make It Masculine' challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Branka DT x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great project!! Love the texture and such a nice layout! Thank you so very much for joining our Make It Masculine challenge at Anything But Cute!
    Samra DT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this layout Candy - It is so cool, so full of masculine energy too!! Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Candy, just wanted to pop in and say Congratulations on being chosen as a DT Favourite at Anything But Cute! Your project is so gorgeous!! Don't forget to come and grab your badge. hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Pamellia ... what a wonderful surprise when I got home from my mini vacation to see that you selected my mini canvas for a DT Favorite! What an honour!

    ReplyDelete